License to Clone - Rimworld + Kenshi Clone - On Steam

Jammy

Howdy y'all.

Long time no see, I didn't know the forum was back. I'm pretty glad I miss this place a lot. And with me now knowing it's back please allow me to present the project I've been working hard away on for the last 4 years in my spare time.

Check this out (trailer):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/964090/License_To_Clone/

image.png.d399caa2ea5635b02be02d9e6265382f.png

If you want a demo or to discuss the tech and how I achieved it, please join my discord:

https://discord.gg/CmSFawGNeU

If you want try a slice of the gameplay, check the link at the bottom.

english_mysterious_quests-compressed.gif.788eaca1fd1f12e503b27cc945694ed4.gif

---- About the project ----

So this is License to Clone, it started 4 years ago under the project name Dead Desert, it started after my previous project Arcade Builder and runs on the same engine except with lots more additions and upgrades. The engine started 7 years ago and so has been a passion project in my spare time.

Why?

The ultimate goal for me is to create the most complex game I can in Javascript. Why? Just because I suppose. To do something not many people have done before, which can be hard to find these days.

I also work as a Frontend Developer, and so before Typescript, Javascript was the go-to for my employment, so if the game wasn't successful, atleast I would learn a lot.

Does it work?

The game itself is extremely complex and employs maaaaany different systems to achieve a cohesive world, for example the map is enormous with 4 biomes, the NPC counts are huge all pathfinding, LOS checking, and all sorts of other status effects for each NPC.

You can create bases that operate very similar to Rimworld, although not as deep as that game itself - This is not a colony sim after all, but a survival game.base.thumb.jpg.bab6e9b6e0d2f7f1acfc8bbaa5191e71.jpg

Current features:

1. Build your bases
2. Craft items
3. Research items and blueprints
4. Complete bounties for cash
5. Tame creatures and animals
6. Grow your squad
7. Game world battles between factions

So what does it use?

Rendering: PixiJS V7 (Pixi-Viewport & Pixi-Spine)

Sound: HowlerJS

Pathfinding: EasyStarJS (Customized, let me know if you want it)

Everything else: Powered by coffee and many late hours.

It also employs HEAVY use of web workers to achieve all the physics, path finding and world state. This extensive "server-like" web worker setup allows the game to run so many complex simulations at once, without locking up the screen.

Try out a slice of the game:

Since I'm still working on the steam version, you can try a much more minified and sliced down version of the game here:

https://www.jamdonutgames.com/deadworld.html

Just a note: I know this is stupid and Unity and Godot exist to make a game better and faster, but that was never the point and I never would have gotten this far if the challenge was to "just make another game using someone else's software". On this journey I've learnt a lot about game development, web workers, optimization, and creating 2D games...

Conclusion, and please reply!

So thats the game... If you want more technical deep dive or write up, or any questions at all, please join my discord or comment below.