Best tools to create a layered front-end

krum110487

Hello, I have an idea for a front-end of sorts. Think of it as Steams big picture mode.

The problem I need to solve is to find different ways to achieve the scene I want.

Here are the layers that create my scene:

1. 2D layer for background, can have images and animated images, 2D particle effects etc...
  2. 3D video layer, so the video can be at different angles, have boarders etc... can also have other 3d objects if desired
  3. 3D layer to allow overlap from the layer above
  4. 2D foreground layer on top to show information
  5. Possibly another 3D layer, unsure, but I want the ability to do so if needed.

Edit: The reason for the layers is because I want it customizable, so images can change per page and can have effects applied to them etc.

on each of these layers they can have layered images using renderingGroupID.

What I am doing right now is I have multiple camera's each rendering their own layer, when 2D I use Ortho, when 3D I use a normal camera. This also allows me to use RenderingGroupID to further layer items local to the camera they are on. This is a good start, but then I ran into WorldSpaceCanvas2D.

Would something like this be possible with WorldSpaceCanvas2D, I can't seem to find a way to make it layer like this, as it doesn't seem like WorldSpaceCanvas2D has the ability to do RenderingGroupID locally or LayerMask (at least not that I could tell)

I am not looking for examples or code, just ideas of what people would use to implement it. That way I can try out all of the ideas in my own time and experiment.

A worldSpaceCanvas2D is only a Canvas2D rendered into a Texture that is displayed by a Plane which is created in the Scene.

From your WorldSpaceCanvas2D you have access to the worldSpaceCanvasNode property which is by default the Plane object, I think from there that you can play with RenderingGroup ID to achieve what you want.

34 minutes ago, Deltakosh said:

Hey!

I think your first idea is the right one, Just play with layerMask and rendergroupID.

WorldSpaceCanvas2D can then be use in your layers to display 2D info.

Great, at least I know so far that I am not a complete idiot. :-D

the main problem I am having now is understanding the "Resolution" for lack of a better word the texture will be at, using Ortho camera I know the width and height of the camera and the texture will be pixel perfect, maybe if I apply the Ortho camera to the WorldSpaceCanvas2D I can achieve the same thing... hmmm

27 minutes ago, Nockawa said:

A worldSpaceCanvas2D is only a Canvas2D rendered into a Texture that is displayed by a Plane which is created in the Scene.

From your WorldSpaceCanvas2D you have access to the worldSpaceCanvasNode property which is by default the Plane object, I think from there that you can play with RenderingGroup ID to achieve what you want.

Ah, so WorldSpaceCanvasNode has the RenderingGroupID and LayerMask information, I will investigate this.

Thank you both!

1 hour ago, krum110487 said:

Ah, so WorldSpaceCanvasNode has the RenderingGroupID and LayerMask information, I will investigate this.

Thank you both!

The property type is a Node, but the object assigned is at least an AbstractMesh, so you have access to RenderingGroupID.

I've made a Node on purpose because theoretically you could attach to anything (because you can provide your own Scene Node object), but if you don't provide one, it's a Mesh that's created.