Clay.io is iframed by Y8.com

Rustem

Hello. Today i visited Clay.io's stats about my game and noticed that gamers play my game from several multilanguage sites of y8.com (e.g. tl.y8.com, it.y8.com, fr.y8.com). They iframed my game from clay.io, and, furthermore, there is large collection of other games (check it for your game http://y8.com). I suppose all (or majority) of them appeared there without permission of authors. Are they legal at all?

I'm not against that my game was viewed more frequently, but some people sell licenses for they games and some people buy licenses to show games on their site, but y8.com are wrong. What's your opinion about that?

Would it be better if we placed this on the settings page? Or maybe a note on the licensing page that mentions when you have the revenue share option enabled (since the only developers that might care are the ones who want to sell licenses)?

Well, personally, I don't think it's clay.io business to do that. With all the games and portals, it wouldn't even be feasible.

Basically, your game is more widespread. Therefore a little more ad revenue. Good for you, right?

But if you really want to block it, you could still do that in the code like "if(window.top!==window.self)..."

...although very basic, I think it'd be enough to drive off most attempting to iframe it. Otherwise, add obfuscation on top.

We typically iframe games (even if they're uploaded to Clay) so that wouldn't really work. The problem here is going to a publisher after the matter and having them take down a game - definitely not something we want to do often, but we can if necessary. For any requests like that, just email me ([email protected]) with the game URL and URL on the 3rd party publisher site, and I'll reach out to them to have them take it down (and if they don't in a reasonable amount of time, we can stop showing the game on that site).

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...